Method

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
Yaeger1
Last Name: Yaeger
First Name: Adam
Address: 4N 385 Briar lane 60106 Bensenville Il

Method

Post by Yaeger1 »

How do/did you guys go about increasing your reps?
I started by increasing as many reps as I could add in each work out.
Would doing so many reps a week or so, then increasing the next week be a good way?
emfermi
Last Name: Fermi
First Name: Luis
Address: Pancho Fierro 130A Street Lima 27 Peru
Phone: 5114228670

Re: Method

Post by emfermi »

For me, it comes without really following any particular method. I really do not care that much for reps as I do of correct form. Doing so, my reps in what you might call bodyweight exercise tend to increase with time. For self resistance type exercises, I always keep my reps under 15. Having said that, I once read in a gymnastic site that the best way to increase reps is to pause 3-5 seconds in the extreme positions. Applied for the dip, that means keeping the arms straight for 3-5 seconds; then lower the body as low as confortable and hold that position for 3-5 seconds. I have not applied this myself, but I recommended it as a trial to a friend how likes to perform pull-ups. After training this way two weeks, he increased his number of reps by 50% (from 10 to 15) which I find very interesting.
geosta
Last Name: Stathis
First Name: George
Address: Amfipoleos 18-20 54454 Thessaloniki Greece
Phone: 2310921682

Re: Method

Post by geosta »

As emfermi said, the number of reps are not as important as the correct form of the exercise.
For self resistant exercises I am doing 12 slowly performed reps as Atlas suggests, unless there is
a different number of reps for a particular exercise (like sit-ups, squats and some others).

For the body weight exercises like push-ups I am trying to increase the difficulty sometimes
doing them very slowly and sometimes very fast (this tip is from the Atlas course, on the
leg lesson on how to perform squats, but works on the other exercises also).
"Give every man more in use value
than you take from him in cash value;
then you are adding to the life of the
world
by every business transaction"

Wallace D. Wattles