Need Your help

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
pegasus
Last Name: Thompson
First Name: Robert
Address: 723 Folsom Lane 90 Lincoln NE 68522

Need Your help

Post by pegasus »

Hi All,
Got a problem. I've been so lazy for so long that I can't even do 1 corect push up and definately not a Charles Atlas dipping exercise. Does any of you have any suggestions of the steps I can take to enable me to do the dipping exercise?
Does anyone take the supplements that Charles Atlas sells? I try to eat right but I think that taking the supplements would be a good insurance policy. What do you think?
Please reply. I'm desperate!
emfermi
Last Name: Fermi
First Name: Luis
Address: Pancho Fierro 130A Street Lima 27 Peru
Phone: 5114228670

Re: Need Your help

Post by emfermi »

Pegasus, I know sometimes we get off track and want to be back on were we left right away. I would advise for you to take it easy.

If you cannot perform push-ups on the floor, I would advise to do the following easier push-ups variations first. Work on one type of push-p and when you can perform the volume recommended, switch to a more difficult variation:

1) Perform push-ups with the hands placed on an elevated surface, such as the border of a table or bench. Work up to 2 sets of 20 repetitions.

2) Perform push-ups on the floor, but resting the weight on the knees & hands instead of the toes & hands as in a classic push-up. Work up to 2 sets of 20 repetitions

3) Perform classic push-ups. Work up to 2 sets of 20 repetitions

4) Once you reach the performance of classic push-ups, switch to Atlas Dips

Hope this helps!!!! :D
ttiros1
Last Name: s
First Name: thomas
Address: Virginia

Post by ttiros1 »

I too have problems doing dips,but for a different reason. I have dislocating shoulders from sports injuries. I use a kitchen counter and do 30 twice a day. At work I use the restroom sink counter to lean against for my " dips ". No matter how many you do just do not strain and keep working towards your goal. The Atlas system is the best out there. Just make sure you do something everyday. I do the perpetuals on off days if I can not do lesson 1-12. Good luck.................TAS
geosta
Last Name: Stathis
First Name: George
Address: Amfipoleos 18-20 54454 Thessaloniki Greece
Phone: 2310921682

Post by geosta »

I agree with emfermi.
Especially the number 2, doing pushups on your knees is a very good way to build yourself up to full pushups.
At first you can have your feet down and then you can elevate them, supporting your weight only on
your knees and hands.
I'm glad you are back on training. Don't rush yourself to many repetitions. Just concentrate on good
style and the reps will build up themselves.
"Give every man more in use value
than you take from him in cash value;
then you are adding to the life of the
world
by every business transaction"

Wallace D. Wattles
jtheath100
Last Name: Heath
First Name: James
Address: 473 Morris Avenue Providence RI 02906

Post by jtheath100 »

When I've been injured, or on days when I'm feeling tired or weak (more a low mood than actual fatigue) I begin with "wall push-aways". I stand about 2 feet out from a wall and do "vertical pushups" or push-aways from the wall. It's super low resistance, and I find it's a good way to warm up or to get just a little chest work done without the real effort required doing chair dips. I should add that if I'm just plain tired I take a day off because it's my body saying it needs to rest. Good luck!
Jim
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

You can also do the dips with two chairs whilst on your knees.
Jabbers
Last Name: John
First Name: Ball
Address: Australia
Phone: 0401910309

Post by Jabbers »

Mate the first step is all ways the hardest which you have succeeded !
To make a start if you can only do one a day for a week thats 7 that you have previously not done good work your on your way!
Read the quotes to inspire your self such as train don't strain etc.
Exersice is never easy , but will become enjoyable it in time , their is never any quick fix just detication but I assure you your head is pointing in the right direaction now and the body will follow.
Step by step and the job is done , one step at a time!
Try walking every day i found that walking helped remove that tired lazy feeling and gave me energy inproved my breathing etc i felt stronger from just wallking the more i walk the better i feel.
I remenber how hard my first push up was i done in years when i deceiced to get fit
And i left myself go for years and one day i looked at myself and thought what mess and i was almost 50
I now can do forty easy with out loseing breath in a row .
Pegasus your on the right track keep going take note of the good people here and find
What works best for you congradulations mate on deciding to make a start .
Health and strenght all John (jabbers).