Senior work out

How it feels to follow the principals of "Dynamic-Tension®"
ttiros1
Last Name: s
First Name: thomas
Address: Virginia

Senior work out

Post by ttiros1 »

As of two weeks ago I restarted DT. I was doing lessons 1-11 in the morning and the perpetual’s in the evening. It’s not working because at 72 it’s too much. So my new work out staring tomorrow is Tuesday and Thursday lesson 1 in the morning and the perpetual’s in the late afternoon. I think Sunday will be my recovery day.
ca_admin
Site Admin

Re: Senior work out

Post by ca_admin »

Remember the motto is don't strain to train. Never do more than you can. This will help break you down instead of building you up. Be careful and gradually start the process and build yourself up to more every week.
Jim
Last Name: Heath
First Name: James
Address: 473 Morris Avenue Providence RI 02906

Post by Jim »

I turned 80 last year and believe me I know how our energy and recovery times(!) change as we age. I've been struggling with the best way to balance my DT workouts not to mention incorporating aerobics with it. I find if I try to exercise (other than walking) every day my fatigue catches up with me and suddenly, usually on day 4, I am too tired to do much of anything. So I walk, jog/walk a couple days a week, and do DT kind of when my body says "time to get going". I also add some weight for squats, stretch bands for rowing, but mostly my best workouts are those Charles Atlas wrote out decades ago. I also find it helpful, effective, and a help to reduce boredom by mixing DT in with my walking. As we get older the first parts to decline are legs, knees and hips. DT offers a lot of good exercises for this part of our bodies. I find, for instance, lunges (see Lesson #8, Part II, Exercise 7) are better than deep knee bends because not only do they work different muscles but they require balance which is wicked-important as we age. Good strength and balance are the best prevention to falling. And I've found that I can do lunges while walking up a hill! So I get the benefits of lunging as well the increased heart rate while doing it uphill. Once or twice a week is all I need of this wonderful exercise.

I say keep at it. Go at your own pace. And you'll see DT rewarding you big time.
Jim Heath
Kev12Atlas
Last Name: SPIREK
First Name: KEVIN
Address: N10002 Padre Pio Drive
Phone: 6084036253

Post by Kev12Atlas »

Ttiros1, a rule of thumb is to listen to your body. If you happen to overtrain, your muscles will be very sore and the exercises will be harder to do than usual. And, instead of being motivated, your usually enjoyable workout will feel too toilsome. Sometimes, an extra day or two's rest can do the trick. I will rest extra days, on occasion, before doing a heavy overhead lifting or max effort bench press workout.
ttiros1

Post by ttiros1 »

Good points from both last responders to this post. I keep forgetting I’m not that young buck anymore. I do like the idea of DT while walking. If it’s nice out I will do 2-3 mile walks.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

I spend a lot of time exercising the joints and work on balance.
Kev12Atlas
Last Name: SPIREK
First Name: KEVIN
Address: N10002 Padre Pio Drive
Phone: 6084036253

Post by Kev12Atlas »

Jim, both of my parents are nearly at their mid 80's; both use a walker, although my dad only uses it, when it is necessary. The more power to you, if you don't use either a cane or walker. Sounds like you have a program that works; as long as you follow it weekly. Just reading the Charles Atlas posts is very motivational . We all have fitness goals that we seek to achieve. The key is sticking with the workouts throughout the year, changing exercises when needed.
Jim
Last Name: Heath
First Name: James
Address: 473 Morris Avenue Providence RI 02906

Post by Jim »

I think at some point most of us find boredom with an exercise routine to be a problem. I remember many years ago when I began (1968!) it didn't take me long to become bored with the Perpetual Lesson routine outlined at the end of the course -- " You mean I'm going to do these exercises everyday... forever?!" So what I've done over the years is to revamp it by going through lessons and replacing a few PL exercises with "new" ones from a lesson. Instead of, say, doing deep knee bends everyday, substitute lunges. After a month, substitute lunges with a different upper leg exercise. Here we are in April, coming into spring, it's a great time to sit down and leaf through the Atlas course and create your own personal version. See how it works? What new muscles are being worked?
Keep at it all you wonderful Atlas students!
Jim
ttiros1

Post by ttiros1 »

You are spot on. I absolutely change up the routine.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

Did the stairs 2 at a time to the 15th (actually 13 flights) floor today, haven't done it for awhile, that was after a leisurely walk through a nearby river parkway and old neighbourhood, nice warm day got my shorts on and just t-shirt. Some exercise I do everyday as discipline and then some variety. I like to get stretching in my practice, an exercise mat is permanent on my living room floor.